Be a volunteer breastfeeding counsellor
Defining the BMSG Breastfeeding Counsellor
Breastfeeding counsellors are mothers who have breastfed for at least six months. As a breastfeeding counsellor, you receive training in
- basic breastfeeding guidelines
- common breastfeeding challenges mothers face
You would offer ideas and suggestions, without giving advice or making diagnoses. You will help mothers set out their goals, explore options and make decisions.
As a BMSG counsellor, you also stand for informed choice. You provide information to enable mothers to make informed decisions or offer referrals when dealing with a problem beyond your scope.
You give mothers non-judgemental support, putting aside any personal views on parenting topics. You understand that every mother does what she sees as best for her individual circumstances.
What is your role as a Breastfeeding Counsellor?
Mother supporters form the foundation of breastfeeding support. They are everyday mothers cheering on other breastfeeding mothers!
As a breastfeeding counsellor, you
- facilitate mother-to-mother support
- are a reliable resource if a mother needs more than companionship, encouragement or ideas from other real-life mothers!
- have a network of connections with lactation consultants, paediatricians and other professionals who are able to provide specialised support
What work would you do?
Your responsibilities include
- operating the phone counselling helpline
- hosting or helping to host support groups
- providing online counselling support
- teaching classes
- conducting workshops
- facilitating events & talks
What does BMSG Counselling Training involve?
We are in the midst of revamping our counsellor training programme to cater to the changing needs of Singaporean breastfeeding mothers in this digital age.
We will share more details as our plans take shape.